Cal Grants

A Cal Grant is money for college that does not have to be paid back.  To qualify, a student must meet the eligibility and financial requirements as well as minimum GPA's.  Cal Grants can be used at any University of California, California State University, or California Community college.  Cal Grants can also be used at qualifying independent and career colleges or technical schools in California.


Undocumented students can apply for Cal Grants using a special application process made possible by AB540 the California Dream Act.  For details refer to AB540 California Dream Act on this website.  (Bill, link to the proper Dream Act page)


Cal Grants are intended primarily to assist students in paying for their educational costs at four year universities.  They are seldom used by students attending community colleges.  Students interested in Cal Grant benefits while attending community college should consult with the college financial aid office or visit the website provided below.


IMPORTANT NOTE: Cal grants are a CRITICAL source of financial aid for former community college students when they transfer to four year universities.  THEREFORE, EVERY COMMUNITY COLLEGE STUDENT WISHING TO TRANSFER SHOULD APPLY FOR A CAL GRANT AT THE APPROPRIATE TIME!




A student applies for a Cal Grant by completing a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Financial Aid) as described above.


For more details on Cal Grants go to the California Student Aid Commission website at








iGraduate Road

Map Tools

Sign Up for Mentor

Training Seminar

College Links

Financial Aid

College Catalogs

Career Assessment Tools

Important Links

PowerPoint Presentation


Community College Info

and Resources

Mentoring Forms