California Promise Grant.  Formerly Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOG)

California community college students, who are residents of California, can apply for what is known as a California Promise Grant, also known as a California Community Colleges Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW).  It waives tuition and fees for qualified students for the entire school year. Students may receive a waiver for any number of units, with no minimum.  A student can qualify if he or she has some financial need, receives Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (AFDC/TANF), Supplemental Security Income/SSP, General Assistance, or meets other special criteria


One way to apply is to download a California Promise Grant or Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW) application from your community college website.  Complete it.  Then turn it in with the required supporting documents to the community college financial aid office.


The preferred way is to go online and fill out a FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  A student needs to complete this application in order to receive federal and state cash grants.  It also suffices for the application for a Board of Governors Fee Waiver.  If a student qualifies for any amount of a cash grant from FAFSA, he or she will automatically qualify for a BOGFW Fee Waiver.  FAFSA application procedures are outlined on pages that follow under Federal Pell Grants (FAFSA).


CALFORNIA DREAM ACT FEE WAIVERS:  Qualified undocumented students may receive fee waivers by completing a Special  California Promise or Board of Governors Fee Waiver Application for AB 540 Students under the California Dream Act.  This form can be obtained from the website of your community college.  It can also be downloaded from or from  Both sites provide detailed information on AB 540, The California Dream Act.


Fee waivers must be renewed during each spring semester for the financial aid year that begins with the following summer semester.  BE SURE THAT A FEE WAIVER IS IN PLACE BEFORE THE STUDENT REGISTERS FOR CLASSES.  OTHERWISE, THE STUDENT MAY NEED TO PAY FULL TUITION IN ORDER TO KEEP THE CLASSES FOR WHICH THEY HAVE REGISTERED!



1. Sustain a 2.0 GPA or higher for two consecutive primary semesters (i.e. Fall/Spring)

2. Complete more than 50% of your coursework in two consecutive primary semesters

3. Any combination of 1 or 2 above.


Information on how to regain eligibility and the appeals process can be found on your college web site or at




iGraduate Road

Map Tools

Sign Up for Mentor

Training Seminar

College Links

Financial Aid

College Catalogs

Career Assessment Tools

Important Links

PowerPoint Presentation


Community College Info

and Resources

Mentoring Forms